Monday, March 07, 2005

Legumes....

I really don't like working with dried beans. They take forever to prepare and they never seem to truly soften up. Last night I tried to make Middle Eastern Lentil Salad. Very healthy and all. The recipe called for simmering the lentils for 30 minutes or until soft. An hour later, the stupid things were still slightly crunchy. In the end, we drained them when there seemed to be more that were soft than crunchy. I made this recipe as a main dish and I think it wasn't meant for that. The dressing had olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and cumin. It was quite tart and QUITE garlicky. Maybe as a side but it was a bit overwhelming (and not in a good way) as a main dish.

2 comments:

Hoarybat said...

I haven't had luck with garlic in any of the middle-eastern recipes I've tried. They all come out *way* too garlicky (and I like garlic a lot) ... I'm thinking about just halving the garlic as a matter of course.

BTW, sorry I couldn't retrieve any coke-can sized mussels for you & Z. They'll probably be in quarantine by the time I can get some. They are a real bear to clean, though ... so maybe I'm doing you a favor.

CalCook said...

It may have been because the garlic was raw. I think I can handle more garlic when it's been cooked. Alas, crunchy sour garlic lentil salad does not the best dinner make.