Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Salty Shrimp

Last night, I made Stir Fry Shrimp with Crispy Lemongrass (From Bangkok to Bali in 30 Minutes, pg 213). Note to self, when recipe calls for both soy sauce and salt, leave one out. This dish was painfully salty which is too bad because it smelled divine. Frying lemongrass gives off a wonderful aroma. Unfortunately, the fried lemongrass wasn't the type of crispy I was expecting - it was more like chewing on fingernail clippings.

Now I love shrimp, could just eat shrimp for days but last night I was having to choke down the shrimp because they were so salty. I guess I'll chalk this dish up to disaster. Now I wonder how much is my fault and how much is the recipe's?

2 comments:

Hoarybat said...

D'oh ...

My latest recipe disaster:

Broiled Red Snapper with Rosemary

I substituted halibut for the red snapper (environmental concerns), which was suggested in the recipe.

The gimmick or theme of this recipe was that, immediatley before serving, the fish is flambeed with either Pernod or Cognac. I had always wanted to try Pernod (as it's basically absinthe w/out the wormwood), so I bought a $30 bottle of it (my logic being that we would use the stuff for cocktails as well as doing the whole "absinthe w/ sugar-cube and still water" dealie). Anyway, I was unable to get the stuff to ignite (I think because I let it get too hot for too long on the stove), the recipe tasted like ass (halibuTT indeed), and we have a $30 bottle of the most noxious alcohol that I've ever tried. It'll probably sit in our cabinet for 10 or fifteen years before I end up throwing it away.

Hoarybat said...

I'm rereading my comment with bleary eyes. I realized that, in my pre-coffee state, I wasn't clear on one point: the cookbook suggested subsituting halibut for the red snapper. I'm not confident or stupid enough to start trying fish substitutions without explicit authorization to do so.

Still, I'm not 100% sure which ingredient was to blame -- the Pernod or the 'butt.