Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Chicken, Corn and Black Bean Stoup

Tonight was a soup night - the weather threatened to turn into rain and it was actually cool (for Sacramento in the summer). I made Rachael Ray's Chicken, Corn and Black Bean Stoup from her 365 Meals: No Repeats cookbook. She does alot of cutsie things (like calling a cross between a stew and a soup, a stoup) but, damn, she comes up with some tasty dishes. This cookbook has been amazing. Of the 20 or so recipes I've tried, probably a third have been spectacular, one or two have been so-so/not good, and the rest have been welcome additions to the rotation. I've pulled out more than 150 (I can't remember the exact count) recipes to try. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

The stoup this evening was quite good - the chicken was sauteed with cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and chipotle chile in adobo sauce (which gave it a nice heat). Vegetables were thrown in next (onion, fresh corn, and red bell peppers). A little flour and chicken broth rounded out the base. Black beans were added before a simple simmer. Lime juice and parsley (the recipe called for cilantro but given Zeb's abhorrence of that herb, I substituted) finished it off.

This is one that I might taken into work as a leftover. I supremely dislike leftovers but this might be an exception. Soups are usually pretty good the second time around.

1 comment:

Ridzi Arora said...

I think it should be Soup, not Stoup. Anyways, Nice Blog .