Sunday, January 30, 2005

Blackberries - not just for pie anymore

Friday night was the first night I scheduled a repeat recipe since mid-September. I've mentioned this before but, after several months of trying new things, I needed to know that what was for dinner was going to be good - not just look good on paper. Zeb made Blackberry-Barbecued Chicken with Couscous (Williams-Sonoma Pacific Northwest, pg. 48?). The baste is carmelized onions, blackberries, red wine and other things all cooked down and pureed. I could eat the stuff like soup it's so tasty. Zeb didn't grill it though. When he went out to light the grill, he noticed a bunch of feathers. It looked like a bird had exploded. I have my ideas of what happened but it's not really appropriate for a blog on food. Needless to say, we baked the chicken instead. It was missing that added flavor that grilling gives a dish but it was still delicious.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Gah. Which cat is the primary suspect?

CalCook said...

It wasn't one of our cats. And the lid was down...Let's just say, I'll be setting some traps out shortly. And thank god chili's on the menu for Super Bowl