Sunday, January 30, 2005

A simple dinner...not so simple cleanup

On Tuesday, I made this fantabulous meal - Baked Potatoes with Lebanese-style Beef Filling. It was kind of like a special twice-baked potato. Carmelized onions, ground beef, cinnamon, fresh parsley mixed in with the potato flesh. And then there was an easy sauce of plain yogurt simmered with a garlic-salt paste. I really need to post this recipe. Zeb had EMT class so I ate before he got home. Literally, I was trying to figure out whether he would notice if he had only one half of a potato. In the end I was good though. Definitely a recipe to repeat...but I'm not sure Zeb would agree.

We have a deal where, if I cook, Zeb does the dishes, and vice versa. It's a really good set-up. Especially since Zeb usually grills which means my cleanups are a snap! So Wednesday morning Zeb started to clean up. The recipe called for simmering the yogurt sauce, covered. When Zeb got his first apartment, his mom set him up with a good set of pans. The problem with them is that the lids often create a vacuum seal, making it next to impossible to got off. This usually occurs when we've made rice. Once when Zeb was trying to get the cover off, he cracked off several pieces of the enamel in the kitchen sink. Often, he'll go out to the back porch and bang the pan on the ground until the lid pops off. Some rice will often fall out but it's not a big deal. At Christmas, Zeb and I were complaining about this issue we kept having with the pots. Zeb's mom burst out laughing and said that the pots were supposed to do this and, by putting a bit of cold water on the lid, it would come right off. Well, we felt very stupid and, upon finding the lid on the yogurt sauce pan firmly stuck, Zeb decided to try out our newfound knowledge. Didn't work. So Zeb went to his old method. He went out onto the back porch, leaving the sliding door open, and started thwacking the hell out of the pan. And the lid came off. And the yogurt-garlic sauce left the pan...and exploded over everything. Zeb, the back porch, the sliding door, the hardwood floor, the easy chair, the bar stools, the far wall which was at least 20 feet away...it went everywhere...a garlicky dairy based product went EVERYWHERE! Zeb cleaned for a couple hours trying to get it up. We're still finding it. I was at the grocery store on Saturday and noticed these white splotches on my purse. I though a bird had crapped on my purse until I remembered the sauce. We'll be finding drops of this stuff for months.

No comments: