Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Country Captain in Cast Iron

Last night I made Country Captain (Cooking in Cast Iron, pg. 72). It was a mix of tomatoes, pepper, onions, garlic, curry and thyme with chicken tossed in for good measure. I served it over rice and topped it with toasted almonds and mango chutney. Sound good? Well, it was too spicy for me. And it didn't help that I didn't finish cooking it until about 10:45. I started to eat and realized that I just wasn't that hungry. Zeb liked it though.

On another note, we've figured out the trick to cast iron - you HAVE to clean it after dinner. There's no letting it sit overnight. If you clean it right away, it's a snap (or so Zeb tells me).

2 comments:

Lisa said...

According to Jason, you just gotta deglaze it while it's hot. Heat it up and then throw in about half a cup of water or wine and scrape it around. All the goo bits will come right off. Cook the water down a bit and add it to your sauce for maximum flavor.

Ridzi Arora said...

Your Blog is very helpful. Thank you for sharing here. Read More Blogs at ZOEFACT .