Thursday, April 28, 2005

Spicy!

Last night, Zeb made Thai-Phoun Ribs and Jalapeno Poppers (Smoke & Spice, pp. 74, 386). The ribs were so tender but the star of the meal was the sauce. All sorts of Thai flavors reduced down into syrupy goodness. The poppers were way too spicy for me and even Zeb couldn't handle them for long. Too bad too because they were stuffed with cheddar and cream cheese and looked so yummy. Alas, it was not to be.

For dessert, I made strawberry empanadas (Intercourses). It's one of Zeb's favorite desserts and I've memorized the recipe. It works the best with fresh ripe strawberries so it's a seasonal dessert for us. I've put together more filling than the recipe calls for and add WAY more strawberries. It's so easy! Blend together half a block of cream cheese and 1/4 cup of brown sugar (I sometimes add more brown sugar but it's a sweetness preference). Mix in 1/4 cup chopped strawberries. Using refrigerated cresant roll dough, place 4 rectangles on a greased cookie sheet. Place about 1/4 cup of the filling on one half of each cresant roll square, fold over the other side and crimp the edges. Crumble additional brown sugar on top (brush with melted butter first if you like). Bake according to cresant roll instructions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crikey! One minute I'm searching the web for things on picky eaters, and the next I'm reading Spicy!. I'm not sure that's exactlly what I had in mind, CalCook, but I've enjoyed my visit. Now I'm off to try another search on picky eaters.

Anonymous said...

Hello CalCook
And G'day from Downunder. I was hunting around the web for stuff on how to cook when I came across Spicy!. It's just amazing what these searches turn up. I'm not sure I'm finding what I need, but I'm having a lot of fun. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi CalCook,

Iv'e been looking for great content like this,
it's hard to find some times ;-)
Your post Spicy! was an awesome read!
Thanks!

I'm building an article site on food.
( LOTS more than just a cooking site! )
I have all kinds of articles so far,
like quick cooking , just as an example.
If the mood strikes you, stop by, K?
I'm at: http://www.letscooktogether.net
Maybe we can talk about swapping some content :-D

Thanks again for the read!!
Brad.