Friday, April 29, 2005

Corn Chowder

I love chowders. They're warm, satisfying and fill a spot inside like nothing else. It takes something special so make a true chowder. Unfortunately, what I made in the crockpot was not that special. Crockpot recipe out of Mabel Hoffman's Crockery Cookery (pg. 74). Corn, potatoes, onions and broth cooked overnight and then I pureed the mix this morning (got to try out the imersion blender for the first time - very cool). Refrigerated it during the day and then added milk and butter and cooked it for another hour. Spooned it out and dusted it with ground mace. Didn't really care for it much. Since it was pureed, there wasn't anything to make one stop and savor. It was like really really soupy grits. In eating it, it didn't feel satsifying or filling. It felt like a good base just waiting for the chowder parts to be added. Zeb and I were thinking about shredded chicken and some additional vegetables, perhaps another can of corn. Oh, and I put too much ground mace on mine. FYI - ground mace should be used sparingly - it's a very strong flavor.

1 comment:

Ridzi Arora said...

I appreciate your Hard work. Looking forward for more blogs from you.