Sunday, May 08, 2005

Corn!

On Friday, I made Easy Skillet Tacos (Southern Living) for a main dish. It was fine - nothing special - just a routine sort of dish. However, for a side, I made Grilled Corn in the Style of Oaxaca (Southern Living, June 2004, pg. 148). Oh. My. God. It was so good! I sprayed sweet corn with cooking spray and sprinkled salt and pepper all over. Zeb grilled the corn for about ten minutes until the ears were browned all over (okay, slightly singed in places). Once off the grill, I slathered the corn with an equal mixture of sour cream and mayonnaise. Then I sprinkled chili powder and grated parmesan cheese. Finally, I squeezed lime juice all over the corn. It sounds bizarre but it was fabulous! The sweet corn, the hot chili powder, the cooling sour cream/mayo mixture, the salty parmesan, and the tart lime juice; it's like every flavor type in one bite!

On another note, I didn't realize I didn't have any mayonnaise so I made my own. I'd never done that before. I used the basic recipe in Joy of Cooking (best cooking instructional manual ever). Egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and pepper whisked together and then vegetable oil slowly whisked into the egg mixture. I used a regular whisk which meant my arm was freaking tired by the end. Zeb reminded me that we have a hand beater which would have made it so much easier. Oh well. It turned out really well. Very different though from the stuff I've purchased from the store.

3 comments:

Hoarybat said...

Was the homemade mayo "different" or "better" from the store-bought stuff? We're probably so used to the store-bought stuff that "real" mayo seems strange in comparison. I have this problem with coffee -- the $0.50/cup crap I drink large quantities of isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but it's consistent. Real coffee is unsettling in comparison.

CalCook said...

The homemade mayonnaise wasn't as thick as storebought. It was more yellow in color and had a deeper lemon and spice flavor. It was decadent in the sense that I was eating raw eggs, tempting fate and enjoying myself thoroughly. I don't think I'll make mayonnaise on a regular basis but it could be worth it for special occasions.

Ridzi Arora said...

Nice Article. I like reading your blogs always. Share More Blogs soon.